Thursday, January 7, 2021

Applying Music to our Short Film


      One of the last finishing touches to editing the film was adding music. This was important for our film. Our film is mostly silent. There is really only dialogue in the first and last bits of the film. So, the music had to go with the plot and make up for the absence of dialogue. The first step in doing the music was planning what source we would get it from. Because of the rules for the short, we couldn’t apply any music unless we made it ourselves, got the rights from the artist or management or used copyright free music. After debate we decided on trying to get the rights from an artist. My group and I had a specific song in mind that we felt would fit the film very well. I then took to instagram and found the artists page.

      After this, I direct messaged the artist and their team. My group and I waited a couple of days and received no response. We initially thought that because it was a small artist, we had a chance of getting the rights but it didn’t work out. My group and I decided that we would just use copyright free music. We searched youtube for good music that fit and added to our film instead of drawing from it. After our search my group and I found the perfect copyright free track and added it into our film. Our new track had no lyrics. At first my group and I were skeptical about this because we didn’t want the film to feel poorly made. But, it turned out that not having the lyrics allowed for the audience to pay more attention to the characters and their story lines. After editing this, my group and I are very happy with the music choice and favor our copyright free track over the initial one.




No comments:

Post a Comment